Thursday, July 22, 2010

Employment Discrimination and Retaliation Experience Still Hurts





On July 22, 2010, Shirley Sherrod recounted an incident of racism that occurred to her family in 1965. One definition of racism is that it usually denotes race-base violence, prejudice, discrimination, or oppression. Racism and discrimination are emotionally, financially, and spiritual very painful.


According to Sherrod her father was murdered by a white man who may or may not been associate with the Ku Klux Klan. In the 50’s and 60’s the KKK opposed the Civil Rights Movement and desegregation. In 1965 after her fathers murder members of the Ku Klux Klan burned a cross in front of her family home. Inside of home at the time of the Ku Klux Klan “visit” were her mother, three month old brother, and her sisters.

I cried and praise God after hearing Mrs. Sherrod’s painful history of racism is its ugliest form. I cried because it pained me relive my own racism experience with New York State Department of Correctional Services.  Lastly, I cried for Shirley Sherrod because she endured and survived so much pain caused by racism.
Video of my emotional reaction to Shirley Sherrod's unjust racial experience

I praise God because this woman has shown so much grace and forgiveness. I also praise God because I could see him using Sherrod to witness to this nation about our shameful racial past. A past that based on the actions of some people who are dangerously flirting with “taking our country back” to that era of pain, violence, hatred, and death for political gain.

Vera Richardson

No comments :

Post a Comment